Well-Safe Solutions, Aberdeen, though there may be a requirement to visit and work at other company locations or supplier’s premises as required.
The postholder must be able to attend our global headquarters in Aberdeen.
The P&A Geoscientist will report directly to the Subsurface Manager.
The P&A Geoscientist role is essential to the effective delivery of Subsurface Basis of Design for Abandonment workflows to facilitate Well Decommissioning project delivery.
The P&A Geoscientist will be required to support Subsurface Basis of Design (SSBoD) for well decommissioning projects:
- Manage data mining activities to inform subsurface assumptions for abandonment. Collate, review, and load subsurface data into interpretation/well schematic software.
- Interrogate subsurface data for the purposes of defining permeable zones with flow potential which require isolation. Identification of permeable lithologies from acquired log/test data and evidence criteria for isolation (fluid content, pressure, crossflow potential etc.).
- Collate and interpret drilling data for derivation of PP/FG gradients, calculation of the minimum recommended abandonment depth and effective communication of subsurface uncertainty.
- Effectively communicate the risks of the chosen abandonment on re-use of the strata/field (e.g., CCUS).
- Work closely with well abandonment engineers to ensure effective and optimized well abandonment strategy which honours subsurface criteria for isolation.
- Liaise with clients to ensure that all basis of design work adheres to internal procedures and policies as well as fulfilling the expectations of the OEUK Well Decommissioning guidelines.
- Regular reporting and presentation of SSBoD deliverables internally and to clients.
- Provide technical oversight to any outsourced projects in support of the SSBoD (example: shale barriers or geomechanics).
- Provide technical subsurface support during Well-Safe operations (risk assessments for management of change).
- Robust and optimized subsurface evaluations for well abandonment.
- Bolster Well-Safe Solutions’ reputation as a subsurface technical authority for well decommissioning.
Limits of authority:
Full responsibility for all operational activities within the philosophies and constraints laid out in the job description.
The company reserves the right to amend or change the activities listed, taking into account the job holder’s qualifications and experience to enable the business needs to be met.
Knowledge & Competency:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in the oil and gas industry working in a subsurface capacity, ideally with a good understanding of the geology of the North Sea Basin.
- Capacity to analyse large quantities of subsurface data, evidence, and present robust conclusions.
- Excellent organisational, time-management and communication skills.
- Self-starter who can take initiative and work under their own supervision.
- Willingness to learn, embracing change and continual improvement.
- Experience of well decommissioning and abandonment processes.
- Solid understanding of other subsurface disciplines.
- Experience of Petrel, Rock Flow Dynamics’ t-Navigator and Geologix software packages is advantageous.